Friday, July 1, 2011

So You Think You Can't Craft

Some craft projects are just so easy, anyone can do them.  Right now flower clips are all the rage and they are so easy!  (Sure you can make them more elaborate, but if you want something quick and easy and rewarding, look no further than a flower clip.  I whipped up this pile in about 30 minutes.

All you need is silk flower heads, an embellishment for the middle if you want one, hot glue (I suggest true hot glue, not the low temp stuff), and a hair clip.  I like to use alligator clips because they hold so much better in fine hair, but you may want to use a smooth clip if you are planning on clipping onto crocheted headbands or anything that can snag easily.

I first remove the head of the flower off the stem.  I like to pull the base off too, just to see how well the flower is put together, if it looks like the petals are going to be loose, I give it a dollop of glue before I pop the base back on.  If I want a flower to lay really flat or if I am going to layer it with feathers or something I leave the base off so it is more pliable.  Next I hot glue an embellishement in the middle if I want one.  (Lately I have been buying flower heads with the embellishments already in place, they seem to hold on better in the long run).  With the alligator clips I just pop on a generous ball of hot glue and place the flower on it.  If the clip is going to be visible or if the clip is smooth, I like to line the clip with a bit of ribbon first.  And that's it!  So easy!

I've started experimenting with paper flowers too- I think they look pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment